Saturday, October 9, 2010

Life As We Know It (critiqued by yours truly)

Watch the Trailer
In "Life As We Know It", Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel star as Holly and Messer; an unlikely pair with conflicting personalities who end up raising a child together, after their best friends die in an accident


If you've seen the previews for this one, then you know the whole storyline. However, the filler makes it well worth the watch.

This film claims to be a comedy, and while it made me laugh a lot and had me smiling through the rest of it, it did have some tear-jerking moments. It's rare to come across a movie that truly covers sad/comedic/feel-good that is actually exemplary in all aspects. Nothing felt cheapened because they had to lighten the mood or force anything at all, which meanwhile made the story more sincere and concrete. These are people you know. And that baby is adorable, for real.

I was really proud of Katherine for her choice in going for this script. She's expressed disappointment in some past work (e.g., "Knocked Up") and I would hope for "The Ugly Truth". But this one seemed like a project she can be proud of.

As for Josh, he reminds me of Johnny Knoxville, and every time I remember that he's not, I like him more (nothing against JK. But kind of). He did a great job as the shallow, lovable guy we all knew he would portray in this movie.

As a Cheez-It, this film is 85% Real Cheese. This is definitely a great date movie. I didn't cry, but I felt the eye pressure (you know what I'm sayin', fellow manly men). Take your dates. Take the people you're dating. Do that.

2 comments: