Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Social Network (critiqued by yours truly)

Watch the Trailer
I just saw "the social network". I really enjoyed it and, despite the situation Mark Zuckerberg finds himself in for it in the movie, I was inspired to start blogging. 

I deleted my first and only post for the fact that it was whiny and naive (I wrote it three months ago). Which is an opinion formed over time. "My original Falafel World idea royally sucked, but my new one is just the bee's knees." You get it.

Anyway, I was drawn in to go see this movie primarily for the advertisements. Excellently organized previews had me quite miffed that I wasn't able to see the midnight premiere. If you've seen any of them, the movie follows the same feel. Interesting techno music backing up clever, quick-paced dialogue made the whole presentation feel fresh and cool. Picture "Fight Club" with techies.

However, Facebook isn't too thrilled about this film. Some of the scenes portray Mark and his fellow Harvard-grad friends in a bad light. It says here (you can also view the trailer there) that some of these things were misinterpreted. It even states that a couple affairs just plain did not happen. For example, you'll read in that article, there's a scene where the ex-president of Facebook (and founder of Napster) is doing illicit drugs with some apparent under-age girls, one of whom is almost topless. A consultant on the movie admits it was "mostly made up". Hearing that kind of stuff is unfortunate (not that that particular scene wasn't real, but how quick they are to make up part of the story), especially considering this film is gold.

The article goes on about how Facebook may be hitting its "popularity curve". Personally, I disagree. I'll be honest, I came straight home and posted "the social network was great!" as my status, and proceded to blog about it. If anything, I think this picture will increase users. At least by a small percentile. Now, I'm not saying it's here forever. Everyone thought Razor Cruiser Scooters were hot mess back in the early 00's. Well, they aren't anymore. Just ask these guys.
Look at the slack jaws. The kneepads. The concentration. These guys are gonna CRUISE YOUR FACE OFF.
But I digress. My point is, most empires fall. But who knows, Mark may be able to successfully update his program to the satisfaction of it's current 500 million (ish) users. Maybe he's found the Google of the Social Networking World (suck it, Bing). In any case, Facebook and it's humble blue theme (isn't it a nice shade?) are here to stay. At least for a little while.

I conclude with the verdict that this movie, as a Cheez-It, is 95% REAL CHEESE.
It's worth a theater visit, homebodies.

2 comments:

  1. Don’t delete posts. You get to look back and say... stuff. Which is cool. Already when I look at my older posts it’s fascinating to see how God has worked. But I did enjoy this blog.

    ReplyDelete